Bib-Front Dress, c. 1798-1805

Bib-front style dress made of printed cotton and lined in cotton. A combination of machine and hand sewing was used. The pattern used is Period Impressions #464, which is clearly inspired by the c. 1798-1805 “Morning Dress” from Janet Arnold’s “Patterns of Fashion 1.” The dress closes by means of self fabric ties at the waist, and the “bib” of the dress is then pinned in place to the bodice. Straw bonnet trimmed with silk satin ribbon was made by Austentation. Profusely embroidered reticule is the beautiful work of Linda L.
Dress Diary
So, I've begun cutting out this dress. I am using the Period Impressions #464 pattern pieces, but I've set aside the directions, as I found them a bit of a challenge to muddle through, and felt it would be easier to rely on what I already know about this era, combined with referring to the bib-front gown in "Patterns of Fashion 1" (which is no doubt the one that inspired this pattern anyhow).
It took me many months to come back to this, but I finally did, and I'm pleased to say it's almost done. Just needs a few finishing touches and hemming. Here are some kind of bad (poorly lit, background clutter - sorry!) pictures of it, because I'm just so excited, that I had to post pictures immediately. ;)
This page © 2010 by Jennifer E. Lithgow