Underpinnings, Early-Mid 18th Century

This was my first attempt at making any sort of 18c underpinnings. What a way to start, with making fully boned stays! But the JP Ryan and Kannik's Korner patterns I used for these garments were really good, and I was able to get through it, and learned a great deal. Details of each item can be seen below.
Dress Diary
I'm really quite glad I chose this particular pattern as it went very well and worked out the first try. I used a fabric called "duck" for the top layer as well as the middle or interfacing layer. In all the on-seam channels, I have used "whitebone" (metal dipped in plastic) in 1/4" width, and for all the other casings I used 1" wide flat reed (purchased from Noresta) which I cut, split, trimmed, and sanded to the perfect fit for each individual channel. (Yes, I'm insane. And yes, I will probably just buy it in 1/4" width the next time around!) I made the eyelets using silk buttonhole twist that I ordered online from Ribbonsmyth. I spent a lot of time working on this in front of my favorite costume movies! : )
   
This pattern was easy and went together well on the first try. It is very suitable for a beginner. The pattern calls for "a bundle of #7 or #8 round reed, available at craft or hobby shops." I could not seem to find a craft/hobby shop in my area that carried this item, or knew where I could find it. I finally emailed JP Ryan asking exactly what it is and if there is somewhere online one can purchase it. I received a wonderful informative email in return with different ideas, and suggesting NorEsta, where I was able to purchase my bundle of #7 round reed, and from then on this project was a snap.

The one thing I did not do was use the weights to hold the hoops down, and as a result my hoops tend to float too high, unless they are filled with stuff. I also wanted to add that simply wearing these around the house a few times during fittings resulted in one of the reeds snapping. Next time I might try a stronger reed, or perhaps use more than just three rows, to make the reeds a bit more sturdy.
   
I made my shift from Kannik's Korner #6102. This is a fantastic pattern but the neckline is much too high for any 18c clothing, so I will be making it again, but cutting the neckline lower. This pattern really taught me everything there is to know about flat felled seams and putting in gussets.
      
Back
This page © 2010 by Jennifer E. Lithgow
tod's cyber monday